We love this time of year. It’s all about family, togetherness, wonderful weather, cozy sweaters, mugs of hot tea - and apple picking! Here are some interesting apple facts: There are over 2,500 different types of apples grown in the United States and they are grown in all 50 states! However, the crabapple is the ONLY type of apple that is native to the U.S..
They say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Apples, a member of the rose family of plants, are fat-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free, and a great source of fiber! They’re convenient to store, to pack, and to eat! Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit but, once they do, they’re the gift that keeps on giving; the average lifespan of an apple trees is 100 years!
We’re jumping on the apple bandwagon and are excited to make some delicious homemade recipes this season: applesauce, apple pie, apple fritters, apple tart, apple crisp, apple turnovers, apple cider, baked apples, oh the possibilities are endless!
In order to make your recipe taste great, though, you need to use the best apples. But how do you pick the perfect apple? We’ll tell you….
- Choose firm apples. The firmer the apple, the better the fruit will hold up when you cook it.
- The apples nearest the outside of the tree are the ones that ripen first.
- Don’t just pull on the apple to remove it. Gently twist it off of the tree.
- Once you remove an apple from a tree, they’re done ripening!
Let us leave you with this delicious recipe. Enjoy!
MICROWAVE BAKED APPLES (For the full recipe, click here)
1. Cut off top 1/2 inch from each apple. With melon baller, core through stem ends without breaking through bottom.
2. Place in a glass pie plate; sprinkle with sugar and spices.
3. Cover. Microwave on Medium-High for 8 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Add toppings and Enjoy!